Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bunnies

So, as I mentioned in my blog yesterday, I'm doing some paintings for the Potter League for Animals Have a Heart Cocktail Party & Auction, which is basically what it says it is, a cocktail party with a silent auction, all the proceeds of which benefit the animals at the Potter League in Middletown, RI.  There are usually lots of great items to bid on - weekend getaways, tickets to the theater, gift baskets, and of course art.  I've only been once, but I've donated a few pieces over the years, although this is the first time I've ever done paintings specifically for this event.

I decided to do four small 6x6" pieces, and sticking with the animal theme, I've chosen to paint bunnies.  I've never painted rabbits before, and they're actually much more of a challenge than I anticipated, but that's good.  I need to challenge myself.  The tricky part is in trying to simplify the form while depicting the softness of the rabbit's fur without getting too cutesy.  They're adorable little animals, but I don't want it looking "pretty" or too detailed.  This is my first piece.  I think the small scale doesn't help, but it's fun to do small pieces that I can finish in a few hours.  That means if all goes well I can get all four paintings finished this week, then start on my last polo pony painting.  My only problem now is coming up with a name for the little guy.  Thumper, perhaps?

2 comments:

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Great idea!I know these will make people smile Jane.

Jane said...

Thanks, Anne. I hope so!