Wednesday, August 18, 2010

5 Member Invitational



It's been some time since my last blog. This is becoming a bad habit! I have good reason though. The summer has been glorious, so needless to say I've been spending as much time outdoors, or painting, as I can. The computer sees far more action in the winter months. The show opening this Friday deserves a post, however. This is the big one. The big kahuna! I've been painting furiously for the past 6 months in preparation for the 5 Member Invitational at the Portsmouth Arts Guild, and it's finally here.

The paintings shown here are just two of the pieces I've entered - "Corn Dogs" and "Candy Apples", which are scenes from a carnival that I visited in May. My initial thoughts were to paint the ferris wheel and other carnival rides, but I was drawn to the carnival workers and the booths they worked in. I just loved the signs, and the abstract shapes and bright colors, and I wanted to paint them. I did eight pieces in total, all based around a "people and places" theme, two of my favorite subjects to paint.

Come to the show if you can. I will update my website shortly with new images of my paintings.



Corn Dogs - 18x24"


Candy Apples - 20x20"

No comments: