Saturday, June 12, 2010

Looking forward to summer


Edouard Vuillard - "The Garden at Vaucresson"

Boy, it's been a while since my last blog. We're mid June already, though it doesn't feel like it this week. It's been cool and overcast. Hoping for some sunshine soon.

Spending most of my painting time preparing for my upcoming show in August, the Portsmouth Arts Guild 5 Member Invitational. Racing against the clock now. Ugh. I don't like pressure, but it's certainly motivational. Have been working from photos I took at a local carnival, which is somewhere full of people, light, color... my favorite things to paint. Last weekend I went to New York City, which is only my second visit to this amazing city. Took almost 700 photos, so I think I can safely say I have plenty of pictures for future paintings. I do plan on entering a few New York inspired pieces in the August show.

Of all places I visited in NYC, the Metropolitan Museum of Art left the biggest impression, from a painting perspective that is. Discovered some new favorites, such as Pierre Bonnard and Edouard Vuillard. Their sense of color and light was incredible. For the time being, I have lost interest in painting landscapes, but if anyone could inspire me to take my easel outside and get busy en plein air, these artists could. Photos don't do these masterpieces justice, but I took some anyway, then went and bought the book from the MET gift store. (As an aside, the MET gift store is a major trap for the unwary. It's full of every conceivable art momento...books, mugs, t-shirts, posters...the list goes on. Avoid it if you don't want to blow your travel budget. I couldn't help myself!)

Right now, I feel like I'm bubbling over with artistic creativity. Hopefully it'll keep me going for many months to come.

No comments: