Friday, January 16, 2009

Painting of a different kind...

I've been very slack this week where my art is concerned. I haven't worked on my paintings at all. Pablo's "The Dream" is still awaiting final touches, and my next painting idea is on hiatus until I can I can take pictures and do some sketches. That's not to say I haven't actually "painted", but instead of sitting down at the easel I stripped out my bedroom and started cutting in on the walls.

I haven't done any home decorating for some time. There's something revitalising about changing your environment, and most definitely about improving it. I've been looking at puke green bedroom walls for so long I thought it was time to change them to something lighter and brighter. Boy, what an undertaking it was though. I'd forgotten about all the preparation involved - moving furniture, cleaning, and just the general upheaval of not having things where they're supposed to be. Then there's the disagreements, the heady paint fumes, and the tired, achy arms. A project I thought would only take a day ended up taking four, and for three nights I had to sleep on the couch. I hate a messy house.

The bonus of course is that now I have a nicely painted bedroom and I'm no longer cringing at the sight of it. Even better, I'm going to Ikea this weekend, that great Scandinavian home store, and buying new table lamps and a mirror (plus a few other odds and ends I'm not telling my husband about). That's something to look forward to.

So, although I haven't exactly been expressing my creativity this week, I've been busy. I don't think I did a bad job either. All the same, I think I'll stick to painting pictures. Next time we're hiring a professional.

No comments: