Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fakes and Forgeries


"The Dream" (Original by Pablo Picasso), 18x24"

I finished my Picasso forgery this week. I learnt a few interesting facts about "The Dream", or "Le Reve" as it's also known, while painting it. Firstly, as I think I mentioned in a previous blog, the lady in the painting is Marie-Therese Walter, one of Picasso's lovers whom he had a child with. On researching Ms Walter, I discovered she was only 17 years old when they met, and though their relationship didn't last, Picasso supported her financially for the rest of her life.

Most curiously, I discovered that Picasso liked to include the image of a penis in some of his paintings. I didn't notice it at first, but it seems pretty obvious now. Just take a look at the top half of Ms Walter's face. Yes, there's a penis! In this case, I read that the penis represents Ms Walter's sexual dream.

I also found out that the original painting is currently owned by Steve Wynn, a wealthy art collector who was on the verge of selling "The Dream" when he accidentally damaged it. While showing it to some friends, he lost his balance and put his elbow through the canvas, tearing a small hole the size of a silver dollar. An expensive accident! He decided to keep the painting after that.

I still like this painting a lot. Despite having a penis on her head, I think Marie-Therese is beautiful in her own way. I'm putting it in the Fakes & Forgeries show at Spring Bull in February.

No comments: