Sunday, December 1, 2013

Faux Phooey

Backtracking just a little, in August of this year I entered the Portsmouth Arts Guild's It's Your Masterpiece exhibition, which challenged artists to interpret a masterpiece of their choosing - not to merely copy, but to paint it in their own style and/or add a little something extra.

I chose Edward Hopper, being that he's one of my favorite artists, and his painting "Chop Suey", which I've always admired.  I love Hopper's rich color palette and the mysterious, somewhat solemn atmosphere that pervades a lot of his work.  I attempted to capture that with my interpretation, albeit with a twist - I wanted to modernize it and....well, I also added my cat Bob, just for a bit of fun.

I guess I did something right, as I won the Peoples Choice Award with my attempt, which was rather awesome.  But judge for yourself...

 
"Faux Phooey" - 16x20"


"Chop Suey" by Edward Hopper

No comments: