Thursday, March 11, 2010

Art and dolphins...

Had some great news this week. I've been accepted into the juried show at Portsmouth Arts Guild entitled 5 Members' Invitational. Myself and 4 other PAG members will be showing our work at the Portsmouth gallery in August. I'm thrilled! There's lots of painting to be done, but I'm feeling motivated and up to the challenge. All this sunshine we've been having lately has certainly helped. Spring is almost upon us, and I love spring.

I certainly welcomed the good news after my miserable Monday this week. I came across a documentary called The Cove, a snippet of which aired on the Oscars Sunday night (The Cove won an award). Totally depressing footage of dolphins being brutally slaughtered in Japan. I was absolutely horrified. As you may have noticed from the animal-related banners I have on my blog, which includes WSPA (World Society for Protection of Animals), Potter League (a RI shelter), and AAVS (American Anti-Vivisection Society), I love animals, so I was brought to tears by the image of a dolphin fleeing for its life, albeit unsuccessfully.

I immediately texted Dolphin to 44144, which was the number the creators of The Cove held up when they won, and hence discovered a website called Care2.com. I joined the group, which was free, and signed an online petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/724210624 If anyone is interested in helping these beautiful, intelligent animals, please click on the link.

If you're interested in learning more about the dolphins' plight, you can read an article here: http://www.wspa-usa.org/pages/425_january_2005_japanese_dolphin_slaughter_continues_unabated.cfm?searchterm=dolphins_japan There is more information on the WSPA website.

No comments: